Last Updated on
Splash Wines Club is an innovative new wine club, is a wine selection curated by a family that knows the ins and outs of the wine industry. They have been rated as one of the best wine clubs (riect to consumer) and continue to get excellent reviews from wine drinkers on a frequent basis, so we figured that we had to check their high quality wines out and find out if they really lived up to the hype.
One of the best things about Splash Wines is that they offer a unique wine subscription that allows you to choose from a wide range of high-quality wines for each of your subscription boxes. The club company is based in Eagle, Idaho where they spent the past fifteen plus years taking the online wine world by storm. They bring together red, white, rose, and sparkling wines of high quality from around the globe.
When you are a member of the month wine club like Splash Wines you are able to get wines from around the world. The company brings together a nice selection of wines that include: classic vintages, obscure choices, and new options that are innovative. The company spends time curating relationships with the winemakers so that all wine drinkers can always be sure to find the best wines on their platform. They never simply add new wines to the catalogue. Instead, they offer high-quality wines that have been tested and selected for you to pick from.
Splash Wines was incorporated in 2014. Their most popular offer is a simple six bottles of wine that come to your house for a delivery fee of $59 each month. However, you can save some money on your first case with a discount code. This will make your first delivery just $39.
Now, if monthly is too often for you, you can choose to get your wine every other month or even quarterly. There are a few options, like if you want whites, reds, or a mixed case. There are a couple of upgrades that will offer you more premium wines. You can do a Vineyard option for $10 more per order or a Cellar option that is available for only reds for an additional $20 per order. You can pay each month or yearly.
Length of Membership
One of the things that we really like about Splash Wines is that you can cancel at any time. There are options to renew your account monthly or annually. However, you can also change your options, cancel the subscription, or skip an order anytime that you would like to.
Schedule for Shipments
Another thing that we really liked about Splash Wines is how quickly they ship. They actually ship your order to you between one and two days from when you place it. The shipment comes to you between one and five days after it has been shipped.
There are a few different claims made by the company, but they state that if you live in New York shipments will take seven to ten business days, and if you live in Oklahoma, Alabama, or Texas the shipments will take four to ten business days. There are a few zip codes that cannot have the wine shipped to them, so this is something that you will have to check out to ensure that it is available in your area.
Benefits of Membership
There are many different membership benefits to take advantage of when you are a Splash Wines customer. They include:
- There are cards, gift bags, and special gift packs that are exclusive to the company. These are all available to be purchased only by the current members.
- Splash Wines offers discounts (Splash wines coupon) on wine purchases.
- There are wine store membership rewards that you can get with the Splash Cash and Splash Vouchers.
- There are exclusive membership-level options for special wines that you cannot get elsewhere.
- There are special rewards for making purchases, each year on your birthday, and for referring friends.
We loved that Splash Wines allows for you to choose from a vast array of different wines that have been handpicked and curated from the wine experts that are employed at Splash Wines. There are many options for memberships that are flexible and you can choose from options that are as short as one month or as long as a lifetime option. The prices are very reasonable and there are discounts that you will find for additional purchases when you are a member. Plus, you get to save up points for purchases that lead to you having additional money-saving offers in the future.
We really liked the wine tasting notes and the information that I sent with the subscription each month. This means that you are able to drink with the information that is needed to become your own wine expert of sorts. The best thing is that we loved all of the wines that we received. We were able to learn about new wines that we had not heard of and we were surprised with some of the picks that were offered as they were not wines that we would have chosen for ourselves. They were wines that we really enjoyed and are glad that we were able to try.
About Splash Wines
Splash Wines might not be the oldest wine club, but it is from a family that has been in the wine club for three generations. They have been working on internet sales for more than fifteen years and have put that expertise into creating the wine club of your dreams. They wanted to make the experience of purchasing wines online a pleasant one rather than the hassle that it had been. Their connections and experience have led to a fascinating wine club that is different and makes online wine shopping one that is not just simple, but enjoyable.
The company is passionate about choosing wines from around the world. They look to create the best-quality wines that you will enjoy drinking. With Splash Wines you are getting incredible wines for a fraction of the price and are able to really enjoy the wines that you receive.
Splash Wines Specs
- Wine club that is offered annually, bi-monthly, or monthly.
- Wine club that costs $59 with additional options that are $10 and $20.
- Wines ship within two days of purchase, but many times within one day.
- Wines are delivered within one and fourteen days of shipment.
- Wine purchases offer points to where you can cash in on additional discounts.
- Each month six bottles of wine arrive.
- You can choose between red, white, and mixed cases.
Splash Wines Pros
- Convenient wine club with high-quality wines.
- More choices for wines that you might not have heard of before.
- A great way to try out of new wines that are curated for you to enjoy.
- Great gift options for friends and families.
- Ability to purchase more wines at a discount based on how many wines you purchase.
- Loyalty rewards and referral rewards.
Splash Wines Cons
- The company has the policy to replace bottles of wine that run out with any other wine that they choose based on availability.
- You do not really get to choose your wine.
- There are no cellar club options for white wines.
- The long term customers seem to be less happy than those who are more recent customers.
- Figuring out how to cancel your membership requires a lot of work.
Finding the Best Bottle of Wine
When you are eating out or shopping at a liquor store, you will be able to have access to a wine expert to help you make the right choice. However, if you have no clue about wines it can be hard to answers to your questions.
One of the things that you might make buying a good bottle easier is the ability to understand the label and the ways in which the label details and describes the wine. This means that you will understand the flavour notes, the origin of the grapes, and the profile of the wine. Having a basic knowledge of these will make getting a great bottle of wine easier.
There is some basic information about wine that you can learn and easily understand. This helps you determine which of the wines are going to be the best fit. It will also help you to be able to determine which wines you are going to want to avoid. You will have an idea of the tastes and will gain confidence in being able to choose the right wines.
Good Wine Basics
Being able to choose a good wine is somewhat subjective as everyone has their own idea of what a good wine is. The flavours that you enjoy could be sweet, bold, spicy, or tart and what you like might not be what other people like. By understanding these flavours, you can choose a great bottle of wine. Here are some of the basic terms explained to you.
- Sweet – Wine labels will have a label of either sweet, semi-sweet, or dry. If you choose a dry wine, there is no sweetness at all.
- Acid – If you choose a wine that has a higher acidity, it is going to be tarter. If you choose a wine that has lower acidity, it is going to be a richer or rounder flavour profile.
- Tannin – The tannin is the phenolic compound that is in the skin of the grapes. They are present in the process of winemaking in some cases and in others, they are added during the ageing process. When you have a higher content of tannin, you are going to have a wine that tastes bitter. The tannins actually make your mouth feel dry, so many times people will confuse them with the dryness of a wine. This is not what dryness means as dryness actually refers to whether a glass of wine tastes sweet. Red wine is typically more of dry bitter wine and it features more tannins.
- Body – A wine can either have a light body, a full-body, or a body that is somewhere in between. This is basically if the wine is going to feel heavy in your mouth or not. A full-bodied wine will feel heavy. Red wines typically have a full body and white wines generally have a lighter body. The region where the grapes are grown will affect if a wine is full-bodied or light-bodied (e.g. French wine vs California wine). The wines made from the grapes that are grown in the warmer areas are going to be full-bodied, whereas the wines that are made with grapes grown in cooler areas are light-bodied.
- Alcohol – If you choose a wine that has a higher percentage of alcohol, then you are going to feel warmth in your throat and the back of your mouth. The alcohol in wines in measured by volume in ABV. Most wines actually contained 11% to 13% alcohol, but there are some wines that contain as low as 5.5% or as high as 20%.
Each of these characteristics of the wine is going to have different preferences, but you will be able to find a wine that fits your personal taste.
Easy Tips to Pick a Good Bottle of Wine
Here are the tips that you need to know in order to be able to pick up a great set of wine.
Tip #1 – Great Wine Does Not have to be Expensive Wine
The best range to choose wines from is between $12 and $20. There are a number of winemakers who make high-end wine that make more affordable bottles as well. These affordable options actually uphold all of the values are a help to get the winemakers to name out to others. One of the biggest mistakes that people make is that they assume that a $100 bottle of wine is going to be five times better than a $20 bottle of wine.
Tip #2 — Know What Shelf to Search
Do you realize that stores put the most popular wines that are at the medium price point on the shelves at eye level? The wines that are cheapest will be located on the lowest shelves and the wines that are the most expensive will be located on the top shelves. By knowing this simple trick, you know where to look for a wine that is going to fit into your price point.
Tip #3 – Stop Looking at the Country and Start Looking at the Region
There are many different regions that are known for producing top wines. Instead of looking at the country and ending up with a disappointing choice, you should focus on looking at the region and finding the wines that are from different regions. When you look at the country, you can end up with a bottle of wine that you may not like at all. This is because different regions within countries grow different types of grapes and therefore different types of wine. Here are some of the wine regions and their speciality wines. This list can help you to get a great start.
- Red Wines – Columbia Valley, Washington, United States of America
- Pinot Noir – Anderson Valley
- Sangiovese – Chianti, Italy
- Garnacha – Priorat, Spain
- Malbec – Uco Valley, Argentina
Tip #4 – Don’t Be Afraid to Explore Different or New Regions
There are a lot of amazing wines out there. If you find yourself falling into a rut where you are only purchasing wines from one region, it can benefit you to expand your horizons and choose wines that are from different regions. Make sure that you talk to an expert or use one of the suggestions that we have given you to ensure that you end up with the best wine choices. This is going to help you to expand your horizons and end up with great wine.
Tip #5 – Learn to Match Your Wine to Your Food
One of the best ways to make sure that you are going to have the best wine is to match your wine to your food. There are a number of different options out there, but we are offering you some of the basics.
- Choose a wine from the same country as the cuisine that you are eating.
- If you are eating steak, try a wine from Argentina.
- If you are eating pizza, try drinking a great Chianti.
- If you are eating turkey, try drinking a nice Sauvignon Blanc.
- If you are eating pork, try drinking a glass of Chardonnay.
- If you are eating duck, try drinking a glass of Riesling.
- If you are eating lamb, try drinking a Pinot Noir.
- If you are eating spicy sausage, try drinking a Syrah.
- If you are grilling, try drinking a Merlot.
- If you are eating beef stew, try drinking a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Once you know the basics of how to pair foods, you will learn about the flavour profiles and how to create your own food and wine pairings. It will come naturally one day even if it is far from natural now.
Tip #6 — Look at the Vintage Wines
There are different varying things that are considered to be vintage. When you are looking at vintage whites, you want to make sure that you are choosing a current vintage. If you are trying to get an older vintage white, the flavour is likely to be compromised. If you are choosing a vintage red, you can look at older vintages that you are able to afford. The older the vintage red, the better that it is.
Tip #7 – Check Out the Sparkling Wine Labels
Now there are not always reasons to read the wine’s label. However, if you are looking at sparkling wines, you will want to check out the label. There are a number of things that you will be able to determine if you are willing to read the label. The one thing that you should be looking at on a label on a bottle of sparkling wine is to make sure that you see the term method traditionnelle which means that you are getting a sparkling wine that has been made using the same technique that is used in the production of champagne.
Tip #8 – Don’t Be Afraid to Ask for Help
If you are in a liquor store, you can ask someone working for help. If you are online, you can look at the helpful hints, ask questions on chat boards, or even ask a search engine the question that you have. Either way, you will be able to find what you need with ease.
Finding a great bottle of wine is going to be easy now that you know what you are doing. You will have success even if it just takes a little bit of extra time.
Splash Wines Alternative Options
Of course, if you are looking at a wine club, there are some things that you should keep in mind. If you want to compare the club with others, we thought that we would do some of the work for you and offer a few alternatives.
WSJwine is a wine club that offers twelve bottle cases of wine. It is a very affordable wine club that is available in the United States. They offer wines from around the globe and allow you to have both white and red wines. All of the wines are value-focused. They offer $12 international wine selections. Even though they have both white and red wines available, the whites are generally a little higher in quality.
- WSJwine membership is $149.99 for a 12 bottle of wine case.
- There is an additional shipping cost of $19.99 and there are taxes when applicable.
- The price of shipping for each bottle of wine is $14.17.
- There is an option to receive twelve bottles of white wine.
- There is an option to receive twelve bottles of red wine.
- There is an option to receive twelve bottles of wine, six that are red and six that are white.
- The wine club is not available in all states but is available in a large majority of the states.
- The WSJwine Wine Club is a great choice for the wine lover who might not have a lot of extra money to spend on wine.
- They offer a great selection of affordable wines.
- The club is looked at by wine experts as being a good value or introduction to different wines.
- They offer an impressive selection of international wines.
- The white wines are surprisingly high in quality for the price.
- The bottles of wine typically sell for more than $15 from the grocery store or liquor store.
- There are additional wine companies that are also offering the twelve bottle wine cases for $170 that have better quality wines.
- The quality of the red wines is disappointing.
- Having to pay the shipping that is $19.99 a month is considerably higher than other clubs.
- WSJwine does not ship monthly. They ship quarterly.
Wine Insiders has been winning a lot of awards lately as they have some high-quality wines for the most affordable price. You are going to find that if you love good wine and are on a fixed income or a budget that Wine Insiders offers you a number of great choices. The wine club has been in business for over thirty years and allows you to have a nice alternative to going shopping for that perfect bottle. Plus, there is a panel of experts that are going to help you by ensuring that you have the highest quality wines hand-selected.
Wine Insiders Specs
- Two bottles of wine each month shipped to your door.
- Choose from two red, two white, or one red and one white.
- Decide between three, six, or twelve-month memberships.
- A three-month membership costs $112.98.
- A six-month membership costs $216.60.
- A twelve-month membership costs $389.88.
- Multiple gift options are available.
Wine Insiders Pros
- Options to choose between red, white, or both.
- Fifteen bottles per each shipment with special offers to save you money.
- Easily cancel or skip a month.
- Wine as low as $5.99 per bottle, with some options.
- You can have some months shipped for free.
- Known as the best value in wine clubs.
Wine Insiders Cons
- No options for high-end wines for wine lovers
- Not a lot of vintage options.
- Making choices and pricing options seemed overwhelming and often confusing.
- No unique bottles.
FAQs (Common Questions)
There are many reasons why you might want to choose a wine club. There are a lot of benefits that you might want to take advantage of. Some of these include that you are going to be able to get a discount on the wine and other wine-related merchandise. You will be able to get help with choosing your wines from wine experts. Wine club members regularly report that they really enjoy being able to receive wine each month and that they like that they are surprised by the different wines that are available.
There are quite a few advantages and benefits of joining a wine club. Each member that you talk to will likely offer you a different answer. We decided to collect some of our favourites.
· You will be able to gain access to limited release wines that you cannot get anywhere else.
· You will be able to have access to rare wines.
· You will find new favourite wines.
· You can adjust your wine club to your own preferences.
· The surprise of new wines is fun and enjoyable.
· You get to experience the true joy of wine.
By being a member of a wine club, you will really develop your palate and learn more about wines that you enjoy.
There are a number of different decisions that you will need to make to figure out which wine club is going to be the best option for your needs. One of the first things that you have to decide is your budget. You have to know if you want a cheap or expensive wine club. Then you will want to determine if you are a novice or expert drinker. This is something that is going to help you to know which wine clubs offer the things that you are looking for and which will leave you disappointed. Finding a great wine club is something that is possible for everyone.
When you want to join a wine club there are some things that you should look for. If you like adventure, you will want to find a wine club that surprises you each month based on your desires for a good wine from your wine profile. You should pay special attention to how many bottles of wine that you receive each month and how much the wine club is going to cost you. You will also want to consider the types of wine that you can receive from the wine club and make sure that you are going to get what you want. There are a lot of wine clubs out there and so many that might not offer what you are looking for. The biggest thing in finding a good wine club is finding one that meets all of your needs.
Wine clubs greatly vary in cost. There are clubs that are as low as $35 per month and some that are as high as $300+ a month. Bottom line is there is going to be a wine club out there that works for you.
How to Be Sure You Are Joining A Good Wine Club
There are a lot of things that you will want to make note of if you are attempting to join a good wine club. There are so many different wine clubs out there that offer a wide variety of options and different types of wines.
One of the first types of wine clubs that you are probably going to be exposed to are the ones that are offered by the wineries themselves. There are so many of these, but they do not offer wines from other wineries which means that you are limited in your choices. There are a lot of different options that can be confusing as well. There are clubs that offer as few as two bottles of wine each month and clubs that offer fifteen bottles or even more.
Perhaps the best way to determine if you should try a wine club is to read third party reviews (like this one) that are going to offer you a good deal of information on the different clubs that are out there. Really there is no perfect wine club, but there are going to be wine clubs that are perfect for you, so make sure that you find the club that is going to fit your needs.
The greatest advantage that you will find is that you are going to save money. This is largely due to the fact that the wine clubs purchase wines in bulk and get better pricing from the winemakers. In some cases, winemakers want to get their name out there so they work with wine clubs to help promote their business.
You will find that you can have a good wine club when you make the right choices and take the right things into consideration. This includes considering your budget, what you want from the wine club, how much wine you drink, the types of wine you drink, and what you want to get out of the wine club. If you really prefer a winery and want to simply drink their wine then their club might be best for you. If you want to experience new wines, then you can choose a wine club that will allow you to do just that. Regardless of what you choose, there will be a right choice out there that is going to be a good wine club for you.
Why Choose Splash Wines?
We have tried a lot of wine clubs in the past. Splash Wines has been one of the wine clubs that we highly recommend and really enjoy. It is a wine club that has a wide range of options and a variety of different wines to choose from. You can choose whites, reds, or a selection of both. You can determine if you are going to take advantage of unique gift options as well.
Plus, you will be able to get wines for an affordable price. Sometimes you can find unique pairings and wines that you might not be able to purchase anywhere else too. Splash Wines is a valuable choice for those who find that it is the right choice for their needs.
Further Reading on Wine Subscriptions
- Revel Wine Club Review
- California Wine Club Review
- Vinebox Review
- Winc Review
- Martha Stewart Wine Club Review
- Cellars Wine Club Review
- Napa Cabs Review
- Wine Down Box Review